- "Demons" redirects here.
Devils are one of the major races and are a sub-group of the destroyers, one of the four orders of inheritors.
Cosmological patterns imply that the gods created devils so as to become a force of destruction in the world. In actuality, when the demiurges broke the firmament and inherited Throne, the unbound devils were subdued and masked, creating them from formless chaos and allowing their secrets to be stolen from them.
Description and BehaviorEdit
All devils are the children of black YIS, the chaotic and untamed Hot Black Flame. They tend to be self-serving and egotistical.
Primal devils inhabit the void as "mindless monstrosities". Such unbound devils may be used as a power source in devil engines and devil liquor. Binding with a mask grants them sentience, memories, a personailty, and the ability to enter Throne or any world.That is why masks are carefully crafted. Binding a devil gives it a name, a mask, and a personality. Blue devils are the most common, but the pale devils are described as weaker. A devil can increase in power by removing names, doing so also improves the color of its mask. Ebon devils only have one name. Devils may "change" their own names or trick mortals into renaming them. The higher colored names of devils are powerful and kept exceptionally secret, and usually (though rarely) discovered by devils themselves."
The devils seem to take distinct forms based on their masks; from least to most powerful:
- Pale/Palid Devils have masks that have asymmetric holes rather than faces, with thick bodies and spindly limbs.
- Blue Devils have masks that are wholly-expressive, generally human-like faces with smooth horns and hairy bodies. They are described as "imps."
- Red Devils are stockier, with fur and more bestial, less human visages.
- Green/Verdant Devils seem more like dragons, with green scales, skeletal faces and wings.
- Gold Devils have unadorned, very human-seeming masks, and wear simple robes covering much of the rest of their bodies.
- Ebon Devils are very rare--Abbadon mentions there are only a few dozen in all the worlds--two examples are Vladok and Yabalchoath. A 2015 sketch depicted a powerfully built man, it has three faces: the center face largely seems human, but has two horns; its other faces, one to each side, seem reptilian, although one seems healthy and the other skeletal.
The Practices of Devils Edit
- See Hollows
- See White-Eyed Woman
- See Devil's pact
- See Black Speech
- See The Night Curse
- See Heretic's Court
- Ciocie Cioelle Estrella Von Maximus the Third
- Number 1
- Princess Mamoru Moonshine Jagermeister Jack Jack Daniels Timothy Tim Bill Freddy Mercury Blueberry Luna, Esquire
- The members of Badstar
- Cat Master
- Honey Bunch - Hollow devil
- Sweetie Pie - Hollow devil
- Kill Boss
- The members of the Heretics Court
- “A Devil can be the most horrifying warrior, untiring manservant, or cunning secretary that one could wish. But unlike humankind’s weak Black Flame, the flame of the Devils glows hot and raw. It must be fettered. Otherwise, they will surely tear Throne apart, angels be damned.” – Par Vam, Undersecretary of the Yellow City Wielder of Names 2-29
- There’s no kinship among thieves, and there’s even less among devils. If I had to pick one over the other, I’d go with the thief. Judges help the man who picks a devil for a traveling companion.” – Amvater ya Imven, Bone Monk Seeker of Thrones 6-69
- “If you ever hear the Night Curse spoken, run. It only passes the lips of devils, and only when they are up to misdeeds. This is known in nearly all of the ten thousand kingdoms.” -Payapop Pritram Seeker of Thrones 6-60
- A 'Devil's Walkabout' is a common moniker in Throne for a plan or scheme that will probably irrevocably end in disaster. - Abbadon, Seeker of Thrones 10-186
- "The most direct way possible a devil may feed, and the one that makes them the most vulnerable, therefore rarely used except when a devil is extremely powerful or extremely trusting. The latter circumstance is far less likely than the former believe me." - Elemvy Guile, Night Mother Assassin. Commenting on Possession. King of Swords 9-102
- When the comic was first conceived, Abbadon stated that devils and demons were distinct entities. Devils were set to be physical beings while demons were supposed to be non-corporeal. This has since been retconned and the two are now the same.
- In a comment on an early comic, Abbadon also mentioned a different hierarchy of demons. Blue devils were still the most common, but they were also the weakest, with the next most important individuals being described as violet, crimson, gold, vermilion, indigo, and ebon.
- In a past Tumblr post Green Devils were noted to be the second most powerful, but this was changed in the comic during the devil's song during Allison and Vladok's drinking contest.
- ↑ Abbadon (November 5, 2013). KSBD 2:31. Chapter 2. Page 31.
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 Orbitaldropkick (January 16, 2014). Tell us about the inheritors.
- ↑ Abbadon (March 25, 2014). KSBD 3:44. Chapter 3. Page 44.
- ↑ Seeker of Thrones 1-6
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 Orbitaldropkick (April 25, 2015) Figuring Out the Visuals of Devils
- ↑ 
- ↑ 
- ↑ http://killsixbilliondemons.com/comic/wielder-of-names-2-28/
- ↑ Wielder of Names 2-31
- ↑ Vylus and Abbadon (January 31, 2015). Interview #1.
- ↑ Abbadon (January 30, 2014). KSBD 3:38. Chapter 3. Page 38.